Client Spotlight; Northumbrian Water, Every Drop Counts
To reduce the amount of water consumption by informing and educating customers on the ways they can use water wisely and reduce their daily water consumption for Northumbrian Water.
A utilities campaign was developed targeting two specific geographical areas in both the company’s supply area, the North East of England and South East of England (Essex & Suffolk Water’s supply area which is also part of Northumbrian Water Group) raising awareness of water consumption.
In addition to free audits being offered to homes and businesses in the areas to assess their water usage where a range of appropriate water saving devices were installed, the campaign used a number of communication platforms to ensure a wide audience reach to promote the importance of water conservation, share great tips on how to make large savings in consumption and highlight how simple initiatives can create relatively large savings in consumption and with customer bills.
The campaign reached key audiences through a number of different channels and platforms including:
- Social media campaign.
- Targeted press and online advertising specific to location and demographic.
- Large format display advertising.
- Direct mail to existing customers.
- PR campaign through use of street team van.
- Promotional literature & merchandise.
- Street team promotions and events.
More than 1700 customers in the local operational area took an active part in the initiative, each saving on average 4 litres of water and £36 off their annual water bill. Additionally:
- Improvement in stakeholder engagement and good will
- Increase in customer and community engagement
- Award winning and national recognition at the Sustainable Water Industry Group (SWIG) Awards as ‘an inspirational and transformational initiative that encourages sustainable water use’.
Interested in how we can help your utilities company with a campaign or general marketing activity? Find out about ways in which we can help you here.